I received my Census questionnaire this past Tuesday and I was expecting to see an invasive form asking me for all kinds of personal info, like sperm count, average bowling score, hygiene habits, etc. Boy was I surprised when I received my Census and the most invasive question asked was, “What is your telephone number?”
A Marxist state !
With all the fear-mongering going around about how the Census is a government attempt to setup a Marxist state, I figured it was time to step in and put forth a few facts about the Census. Whether or not you choose to fill it out is up to you, but you should have the facts, and not just a bunch of false statements from talking heads on a soapbox.
- The Census has been around since 1790.
- The government has been collecting micro-data, individual records that contain information collected about each person and housing unit, since 1850.
- Because of Title 44 of the U.S. Code, Census identifying data remains private for 72 years. This means that this year’s Census
resultsidentifying information will remain private until 2082.
- The Supreme Court determined that no government agency, not even the FBI or IRS, has a right to access Census data prior to the expiration of the 72 year time period.
- The Census is used to determine the number of members from each state in the House of Representatives, ergo the Electoral College, so it determines the power of your vote.